Friday, June 5, 2009

Summer's Guiltiest Pleasures...So Far

For years we've been conditioned to lower our TV expectations during the summer months, seeking out shows that we would never allow to clutter our TV's at any other time of year. But even though it's only early June, there's already an unusually high amount of truly addictive television - shows that we should be ashamed to watch, but aren't. Here's my top favorite guilty viewing pleasures of the summer so far.

1. I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here
I can't stand Speidi, but their on-again, off-again, will-they-or-won't-they antics does make for good TV, even if I feel a bit gross about admitting it. Spencer might have an over-inflated sense of self-worth (to say the least), but he's right in thinking he's the star of this show since things are about 75 percent less entertaining without him around. John Salley and his name-calling ways don't even come close to picking up the slack, though watching the pseudo-famous get nibbled on by rats and bitten by bullet ants in the name of "charity," while a person most famous for being an MTV VJ looks down his nose at them, does delight us to no end.

2. The Real Housewives of NJ
I dont even watch this, but my friend practically cums over it. These ladies seem absolutely bitter and nuts, and apparently some people are still hooked on the drama, especially after the whole revelation of Danielle's (a.k.a. Beverly's) secret past involving kidnapping, an arrest, drugs and stripping, which was all detailed nicely in a book...or so I'm told.

3. Real World/Road Rules Challenge
I barely even know which shows these people are from, and wI barely even remember the last Road Rules, and yet, I'm sucked in again by Duel 2. Maybe it's because there's always the chance of Big Easy having another near-death experience, or maybe it's because the actual challenges are so kick-ass that I secretly hope Survivor or Big Brother "borrows" some of them for their next season, or maybe it's because I can't help but feel super-intelligent watching these idiots, whose entire lives revolve around this franchise, trying (and failing) to do something as simple as spelling "throne."

4. Jon & Kate Plus 8
They're the worst parents alive. Hilarious! Honestly, I can't really explain why I enjoy watching this family self-destruct before my very eyes, but I am. It's shameful, I'm owning that, but there's no one I love screaming at through the television more than Jon and Kate Gosselin. And Kate's hair, of course, which is just satan on a head.

5. Charm School
I should feel guilty about watching this show, but I dont. However, this is admittedly a terrible spin-off of already horrifying series, and yet I stil love it. It has those entertaining famewhores (paired with the less-entertaining famewhores from Real Chance of Love) but lacks any real purpose. And all the good (read: insane) people keep quitting these shows instead of having the decency to wait to be eliminated. The shame.

6. Wipeout
Yes, I wasn't sold on this show when it first started, but somehow watching people bounce around on enormous red balls and into pools of water, while narrowly avoiding concussions, gets funnier the more times I see it. I'm actually genuinely upset when I miss it. The torturous obstacle course has only upped the insane ante this season, with more foam, more cannons and more opportunities for people to get hit in painful places for my viewing pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment